DLA Piper (Canada) LLP, Calgary
Law Society Governance and Adjudication Experience
- Lawyer Adjudicator, Law Society of Alberta, 2016 – present
- Conduct Committee, Member, Law Society of Alberta, 2014 – 2016
- Access to Justice Committee, Retention and Re-engagement Task Force, Member, Law Society of Alberta, 2010 – 2014
- Co-Chair of the Justicia Project Phase I, Law Society of Alberta
- Equality, Equity and Diversity Committee, Member, Law Society of Alberta, 2003 – 2006
- Gender, Equality and Equity Committee, Member, Law Society of Alberta, 2001 – 2003
Service to the Profession and Community
- Former Governor of the Canadian Tax Foundation and Chair of the Conferences Committee, 2015 – 2018, Current Member of the Annual Conference Committee
- Current Member of the Annual Conference Committee, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Lifetime Achievement Award Committee, Member, Canadian Tax Foundation, 2019 – present
- Frequent Writer, Presenter and Moderator, Canadian Tax Foundation, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and the Canadian Bar Association on various topics relating to policy, tax and trusts
- Former Executive Member STEP Calgary, branch of STEP Canada
Service to the Community
- Board of Directors, Wood’s Homes, Chair of the New Initiatives Committee (formerly the Fee for Service Committee) former Member, Governance Committee, +15 years. Wood’s Homes provides mental health treatment and support to youths and their families
- Chair, Practice Review General Panel – Present. The panel conducts hearings on competence and unprofessional conduct with respect to certain prescribed teachers
Recognition in the Profession and Community
- Best Lawyers in Canada since 2014
- Lawyer Monthly Women in Law Awards
- Calgary’s “Top 40 Under 40” by Avenue Magazine
I am currently Associate Counsel with DLA Piper (Canada) LLP, but previously a partner at other firms. I earned my Bachelor of Laws from Queen’s University and Master of Laws from Osgoode Hall Law School. I have deep roots in Edmonton and Calgary having lived and practised in both Edmonton and Calgary. My practice currently focuses on tax, trusts and estates, corporate/commercial matters and dispute resolution.
I am a long time volunteer for many charities and not-for-profits. My board experience has provided governance and leadership skills which include: strategic planning, risk management, chairing committees and meetings, overseeing budgets, caucusing and working collaboratively to find solutions.
I am a mother of two boys and enjoy gardening and keeping up with family and friends. I am deeply knowledgeable about the Law Society of Alberta and the self-governing issues having served the Law Society for many years, most recently as a Lawyer Adjudicator to conduct hearings with respect to regulatory and disciplinary matters about Alberta lawyers. I seek the role of a Bencher to maintain the privilege of being a self-governing profession and to shape the profession so it continues to be a relevant part of society.